DDR Mat Diagnostics
Over the summer, we’ve been setting up Dance Dance Revolution every Friday and Sunday night. During the school year, we usually only play on Friday nights, but since no one has any homework or sets over the weekend in the summer, we’ve added Sunday nights as well. Last Sunday was the first day we tested our homemade DDR mat extensively.
Summary: It works quite well! Unfortunately, it doesn’t work quite as well as we had hoped, though it works better than the several-years-old Cobalt Flux mats we have.
Details: We had to do a lot of adjusting to get the screws in the sensors at exactly the right height. (Here’s my post about the sensor design.) If the screws were drilled in too far, the arrow wouldn’t register all the time. But if they weren’t drilled in far enough, the arrow would register randomly even when not pressed. Generally, there was only one or so “pad miss” (when the DDR pad doesn’t register an arrow press properly) for every 100 or so arrows, which isn’t too bad, though it does mess up attempts at full combos, which is when you hit every single arrow in a song. Hopefully we can reduce the number of pad misses even more by adjusting the height of the screws.